Arts Grant artist blog

Monday, August 3, 2009

draft of song 2

Inspired by the Greek myth of Pygmalion and Galatea. It's the story of a great/crazy sculptor who decided to build a statue in the likeness of Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty. He then proceeded to fall in love with his own creation, the "milky-white" woman Galatea. He had no eyes for any other woman, and finally, moved/flattered by his devotion, Aphrodite brought her to life, whereupon the couple was married and lived happily ever after, I assume.

I decided to explore the relationship between muse and art and came up with this song. It sometimes parallels the Galatea myth and at other times is its inverse (life transposed to art instead of art coming to life?). In other words, the speaker wants to capture the exuberance of the muse by some artistic medium. All the pianos in Wilbur are occupied currently, so I'll have to record a rough video some other time maybe. p.s. I hid a personal reference in the lyrics.

Muse

i'd like to write you a song
you look so bright, bathed in dawn

just like the music, linger on

i'll sing it again


i'd like to paint you to life

and reacquaint ourselves tonight

you always knew you were my muse

every time


i am a page tucked in your storybook
(i am the storybook you'll read when you are old)
i see the stage on which our future looks
(i see our future looks like blue skies when I'm holding you
)

you have a life that words cannot express quite right

and when you sing to me, my heart is a kite (oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)

even if i can't hold you here in the city of light

i know we'll be all right


i'd like to write you a song

you look so bright, bathed in dawn

come stay with me, we'll linger on

it won't be long

No comments:

Post a Comment