Arts Grant artist blog

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bhutan

Hey friends!
After three days in Kolkata, I've arrived in Bhutan and am greatly enjoying the mountain air and dried yak cheese.
In Kolkata I visited a district where they make statues to immerse in the Hooghly river during pujas (ceremonies) in autumn and got some okay shots there, though the light was not too good. It was hard to find craftspeople in such a big city, and there was definitely more marketing of handicrafts than there was making. Our driver didn't understand what pottery was so we didn't really make it to the potter's area. Bummer.
I am planning on having better luck here in Bhutan. :-)
Tomorrow we will see some weavers at a textile museum, and some thangka painters and royal blacksmiths. Crossing my fingers for a non-rainy day... I really need this lighting thing to work out!!
Mkay, that's all for now. I'll try to upload shots if I can. Eventually. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment