Arts Grant artist blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

Salut,

I've been experimenting with many aspects of my
project in the last month or two in Paris. It's been fascinating tracking down the exact street corners and angles that Eugène Atget stood almost 100 years ago. I'm learning so much about Paris, let alone this photographer.

As I lack a digital camera and can't really find one where I'm staying, I will try to illustrate my progress with a few thoughts. I have completed one of my photo/painting/multimedia projects and experimented with a few others. I have decided to make frames for all of my pieces with "found objects" that I collect from each Parisian site - tickets, records, posters, or just ideas for colors and shapes and lines. I will most likely build the frames for each over spring break, as transporting rigid pieces is a problem.

To visualize one of my pieces: imagine a combination of the below two elements, with the pen and ink drawn directly into the photograph, and lots of other randomness occurring in the sky behind the tower of the church (St. Etienne du Mont).



I am hopeful about how creative my project is getting. I have never worked in anything but pure oil paint, and this is a challenging and refreshing change. Warm wishes from where I'm sitting, in a tiny café sipping a café crème in the heart of Montmartre!

Bisouxxx

Sasha



No comments:

Post a Comment