Arts Grant artist blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Painting Photographs

An update:

I've been photographing a storm and making large fiber-based prints. All is progressing smoothly, and my main challenge at the moment is to develop all the film I've shot. Luckily the days aren't too nice yet so I don't mind spending 4 hours at a time in the dark room. I'm working mostly with large images (so large in fact that most can't be fully scanned in on this scanner), and I've had the privilege of shooting with a view camera in addition to my 35mm, so some of the prints are deliciously detailed. Here's an example of a view-camera negative:


The process of adding color to black and white is really interesting because I'm finding that each time it's really difficult to break the simplicity of the b&w image, but the added layers of tones, accents, and textures are well worth it. Here are some examples of colored prints.



























Looking forward to making more!

No comments:

Post a Comment