Arts Grant artist blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Comic book- brainstorming, panelling, sketching.

Hello!

Here are some of the finished drawings of my comic book which I'd done last quarter. I've finished writing the story during winter break, when I was in UK. Currently, most of my stuff are still in sketches and panels; yet to be inked. I need to get more work done by this weekend! がんばつて! By the way, my style is pretty manga-ish =)



Rainforest


Beginning


Classroom scene

Now that I've shown a preview of my work, I'll write a little bit about how this project first surfaced. It all started in Fall 09-10 (last semester). I took the class ARTSTU 14A: Drawing Comics for Non-Majors with Juan. I've always liked reading manga since I was young and I do draw some fan arts and bits of sketches every now and then. However, I've never really found the time to produce a proper comic book. I've been reading a lot of "drawing manga books" but until I took this class, I've never done any inking, paneling, character design, story boarding, etc. Juan was simply amazing, allowing us the freedom to produce whatever comics that we want for the class's assignment (yes even abstract comics!).

And with this grant (which I'm very grateful for as materials and printing are very expensive), I am planning to expand my comic book to 20-30 pages. Most of it will be in black and white but there will be some pages which will be colored. I'll be using mixed media: markers, pens, water color pencils, acrylics. All of my work will be hand drawn and I'll only be using Photoshop for touch ups and maybe some effects.

Till next time,

Cheers!

Mei Yueh

No comments:

Post a Comment