Arts Grant artist blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Artists of India? How about... Bhutan? Nepal?

Hey everybody! 
So I've finally, finally confirmed my travel plans for this summer.
 I won't have any work to show until early September, but at least I know now where I'll be going. I'll still be in India, too-- Calcutta and Delhi, mostly. But my mother has also managed to convince me to come to Bhutan with her (yeah, it was tough!).
So we'll be traveling there for 10 days. While we're there we'll be visiting a Thangka painting school, a workshop of royal silver smiths, and a traditional paper factory, so those should provide some good opportunities for photographing traditional craftsmen at work! I guess my subjects won't all be Indian as my project proposal stated, but I think this will be equally cool. 
After Bhutan, we'll be making a quick stop in Kathmandu. No specific plans there yet, but I'm working on it! 
Then we head down to Delhi, where we'll linger around the Bazaar at Chandni Chowk, where there are lots of small craftsmen's workshops.  Also the Dilli Haat food and crafts bazaar seems to display a lot of traditional handicrafts, and hopefully I can track down some of the people who made them by asking around with salesmen. 
That's all for now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment