Arts Grant artist blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Prototyping the Diver

Week 6 of the quarter came fast. I have prototyped a unit of the piece and gotten it to work more or less the way I want it to- lots of room for playing with little details but most of the heavy design work is done. These photos show the rough prototype- lots of duct tape etc but it served its purpose of giving me an idea of what the forces involved in this piece will be and what it will look like.


There will be 10 of these sections in total, connected end on end and suspended from a large, 10' tall by 20' long triangular frame, and the collective mechanism will be driven by a small motor. I am currently in all-out production mode, having fabricated most of the components to make the birds and soon to move on to making the individual crank shafts and gears for each bird section. Lots to be done but I think I can get it done in time for the spring show. Definitely love losing track of time and self in the shop designing and fabricating this sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment