Arts Grant artist blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dead Towns: Looking at different display options

I’ve got the first draft of my story written. I’m going to get it proof-read this week to make sure everything is clear and not too disjointed (seeing how the story appears in 100-word snippets rather than a continuous chunk). I’m quite excited, because I think the story explores several themes where ghost towns can function as a metaphor or at least as a suitable setting: namely as desolate, isolated, nowhere towns.

I’m having a bit of trouble conceptualising how I’m going to showcase my project, though. I could have it as a display, but that might make the work sterile (if easier to read). I could also go with the original idea and have it be set up in a section of the living room, and the story presented in a journal or some kind of scrapbook, a storytelling method that feels more “lived in” – but only one person can read the scrapbook at a time (ie. Could be impractical).

Here are some ideas that I have:




The main question I have is: if it’s so deliberately on display, does it detract from the whole “lived in” experience that I want the living room to be, and does that even matter?

1 comment: