Arts Grant artist blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Designing the Diver

Back from a quarter in Australia- tried to design the piece to the greatest detail possible while Down Under- these are some of the rough models i made to get an idea for how the piece would look.
The overall layout of the piece involves a flock of segmented, origami-esque pelicans flapping and gliding in a helical motion. The scale is large- approximately 20 feet long by 10 feet tall and 10 feet wide, with each bird having a wingspan of 4 feet. Most of my time has been devoted to designing the mechanical details of the sculpture, but I have also been collecting materials for the past two weeks with great success. I am trying to use mostly reclaimed materials- using stock PVC pipe and fresh cut timber would be in direct conflict with the narrative of this piece- and I have been traveling to scrap yards and building materials wholesalers throughout Santa Cruz and the SF Bay Area to ask for damaged material or scrap. I have been really impressed by the generosity of the people I have encountered, from Gary at Gary's Plastics who gave me a TON of material for $20 to the kids of a sign maker who gave me a TON of aluminum. I went to Alan's Steel in Redwood City for the first time the other day and it blew my mind- a sculptor's candy shop to be sure. This piece has already been a great experience for me, and I haven't even started building it yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment