Arts Grant artist blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Dead Towns: Lots of uncertainty

So the project begins…on a poor note. The very night Stephanie and I were supposed to embark on our road trip to take photographs and write notes on Northern Californian ghost towns, Stephanie had personal problems and had to back out.

As someone who cannot drive, had no way of getting north during winter break, and had no other time to head north aside from winter break, it looked like I had to seriously modify the project. I booked a plane to San Diego the next week where a friend offered to drive me around – albeit for only a shorter time period. There, I took photographs using disposable cameras, took as many notes as I could, and decided to reconstruct a project from what was salvageable from the old one.

Right now, I’m in the process of recreating my memories of SoCal small towns and writing them into paragraphs. Here are some images from my notebook:




In the following weeks, I plan to edit the scope of the project. Originally, we were supposed to recreate a living room with objects and impressions from Northern California. As I don’t think I can do that alone, I might recreate part of a living room from Southern California as described to me by my friend. I might also take the project in a more fictional or symbolic direction and not be bogged down by realism. I guess everything is up in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment