Arts Grant artist blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

My First Post: Rumi Painting













Hey Everyone!

So finally getting my first post in, and I'm going to cut straight to the chase! Just completed my first painting of the series of 5. This is a short description:
The first will convey a desire for spiritual unification. I will create a black-and-white acrylic painting of my palms covered in poetry by Rumi, using a poem about his desire to unite with God. Here my choice of style was inspired by artist Shirin Neshat, who used Persian poetry and photography to portray the struggle of women in the 1979 Iranian revolution (Look her up! She's awesome - she actually came to Stanford in June).

I made a few changes - instead of palms, I have my hands clasped to convey the idea of unification. In the design stage, my drawings had the hands covered in writing while during execution, I decided have no writing on the fingers. I didn't want the text to be overpowering, and I think it helped. Below is pretty much the final product - still needs a little tweeking, but that's basically it.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions for improvements?


Onwards to Piece 2!!

No comments:

Post a Comment