Arts Grant artist blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

First post!

Hello blog!
I'm currently in Oxford, en route to India, where I am going to create portraits of my grandparents. My family is very spread out around the world, so I hope that through these pieces, I'll be able to capture the combination of alienation and familiarity that defines these relationships.
I was initially planning on creating these portraits on canvas, and I wanted to incorporate embroidery and ink to make them personal, domestic and real. After shopping for supplies, I fell in love with the idea of making the portraits directly on fabric and framing them in embroidery hoops. This idea feels very right, so I'm very excited to get started. Expect to hear back from me in about a week!
Surabhi

No comments:

Post a Comment