Arts Grant artist blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Update on Pop-ups

Hi everyone,
This summer I've been busy refining my pop-up book about how seeds grow into flowers. I've improved my paper engineering skills by researching other children's pop-up books, practicing various techniques, prototyping mechanisms, and applying them to my book. Each of the mechanisms in the final version should be more intuitive and functional.

Here's a sample of the refinements made to the book.

BEFORE
Problems: The pull tab sticks out beyond the boundary of the page and it jiggles up and down instead of moving in and out smoothly and consistently. Also, the "flow" of the water works nicely/somewhat realistically as you pull the tab out, but not as you push it back in.












AFTER
Solution: Using a wheel allows the water to start, flow, and stop in a more realistic way

No comments:

Post a Comment